Thursday, July 10, 2014

United States of Murder Inc.

Artist: Michael Avoe Oeming

I was able to pick up the first three issues of this creator owned book after I saw the reviews it was getting which was a great surprise.  United States of Murder Inc. lives up the hype.  Bendis and Oeming have created a world that I can’t wait to explore.  The more that’s revealed, the more I want to know.

The story opens with Valentine being initiated as a made man and being given a mission.  From that point forward everything that happens leads to a twist or reveal, deepening the readers understanding of this fictional world while also thickening the plot.  Everything about this story, from the foundation up, is engaging and entertaining.

Michael Oeming is a name I hadn’t heard before so I really didn’t know what to expect.  When I opened the book to see his cartoon styled art I know quite what to think.  It seemed at odds with the seriousness of the story being presented and the mature dialogue.  I quickly became quite comfortable with it and think it does a great deal of good in allowing the reader to get themselves into the world that has been masterfully orchestrated.  On a couple occasions I had trouble following the panel movement and I’m not sure if I am to blame or if there are some layout issues.

If you can’t get the back issues at your comic shop you can find them online at comixology or wait for the trade to come out in December.  Either way is ok as long as you read it.  I give this series a 5 out of 5 and I pity the fool who misses out.



NXS

No comments:

Post a Comment